Posted on: 22 February 2016
When you're a homeowner, it's important to be able to quickly diagnose electrical problems and schedule a visit from an electrician as soon as possible. Although many electrical issues aren't dangerous, many can carry the risk of a shock or even a fire. Generally, your home's electrical system isn't something you should attempt to work on yourself. Even with some online research, there's always the chance that you'll make a mistake that compromises your safety. Here are three household electrical problems that require the attention of a professional once you notice them.
On the surface, seeing two-prong wall outlets throughout your home might not seem like a hazard – and, indeed, you can use these outlets for a long time without any problems. However, the lack of a third prong means that the outlet isn't grounded. When an outlet isn't grounded, there is a heightened risk of you getting electrocuted or even a fire starting. The additional concern is that two-prong outlets are old, which means that the wiring behind the wall could be outdated and require updating. It's always a smart idea to hire an electrician to replace and upgrade any two-prong outlets that you come across anywhere in your home.
Frequent Use Of Extension Cords
Plugging an electrical device into an extension cord can be handy at times, but this method of powering one of your components should be the exception, not the norm. It's never a good idea to permanently be using extension cords as they can pose a tripping hazard and even a fire hazard. Additionally, if you've taken the approach of plugging multiple extension cords into a single wall outlet, there's a strong likelihood that you're overloading the circuit. The result can often be the circuit breaker associated with the outlet tripping to cut off the power. The electrical contractor you hire can upgrade your home with additional wall outlets to ensure that a single circuit isn't overloaded.
Warm Wall Outlets
It's a serious problem if you can feel warmth coming through the wall around an outlet. This symptom can indicate that the electrical current is flowing where it shouldn't; the current could be arcing, which means that it's jumping to metal components in the outlet, such as the screws. Arcing increases the risk of a fire dramatically, given that the current is flowing where it shouldn't. Your electrician will either rewire the outlet or replace it entirely to ensure everything is safe. Learn more about safe electrical practices by reading this blog.Share